Sunday 29 March 2009

March Journaling Junkie Layout.

The weeks have been a-rollin' by & I have got behind on updating my blog with my DT submissions. You can go here if you want to see what the other DT members came up with or apply to see what it takes to become a member of the Design Team yourself (There's a DT call going on there at the moment). Here we were required to come up with a sequence of photos. Mine, rather than depicting an event, were all about a person & the thoughts that came to mind as I looked through this set of photos. I have hand-written my thoughts onto strips of paper on each photo aswell as in my journalling space down the side of my double layout.

I used plain bazzill & colourmates & was happy with my striking colour combo. I also used KI memories lace cardstock, which I cut-down to size by cutting around the elements to the rough size required. I also used a lovely floral glitter cardstock & cut out all the elements & bumped up some of them. The pink cardstock had a white core which lent itself to tearing & I double mounted the main photo onto pink AND white cardstock for emphasis, then bumped up the whole mounted photo onto foamcore. I rubbed some clear glitter glue onto the main (brown) section to highlight my focal point photo. It is very subtle but doesn't photograph well...

I decided to scallop cut the actual photos for a bit of added interest. I have a scallop ruler (actually just a strip of chipboard scallop that I got in a set of chipboard elements & decided to reserve as a template). I hand journalled once again, with my faithful dark brown fineliner (& my white one for the date - bottom left). I usually just check out the space & can see if what I want to write will fit in or not, but this time I actually just quickly wrote it out in very pale pencil then rubbed the pencil out (quite some time after I journalled) to ensure that I didn't smudge any of my writing. I used white rub-ons for my title "How Come?" & mounted the brown glitter chipboard brackets around the title (MM pre-made) onto white cardstock which I then inked with pink.

These are just a couple of Picasa collages I created to highlight the elements. As you can now see here the Bazzill backing cardstock I used was the beige from their Swiss dot collection.

Cutting out all the flowers & swirly leaves from the glitter cardstock gave me a dent in my finger (!) but was so worth it, for the number of elements I managed to get out of just one sheet - seriously cost effective as compared to pre-bought embellishments. I really wanted to use this lace cardstock & pink is the only colour I could get hold of here (suppose I could have painted it but I was too impatient as I wanted to get started...) but I couldn't bear the thought of a garish layout as I've gone quite neutral these days, so I was happy with how good the pink looked against the dark brown & how the pink/brown colour combo worked against the neutral beige background.


Above is a "sneak peek" of my upcoming Journaling Junkie challenge. Look out for it coming up on their blog sometime this coming week. I used my March Cocoa Daisy kit papers & buttons & stickers from my own stash. The papers worked perfectly with my chosen photos so watch this space...

Now share your opinion of my "How Come" layout with me. Good or bad, us scrappers thrive on feedback...


1 comment:

Lynette Jacobs said...

Gorgeous layout Helen...you are on a roll!