Friday 19 November 2010

A Thief in the House!






I didn't get to finishing this on time but finished it off last night as I'd already begun earlier in the week.  The Colour Room is based in Adelaide so is about 6 hours AHEAD of me instead of what I am used to - EST time - which is 6 hours BEHIND - so I am still trying to remember that simple fact from week to week!

I based my layout loosely around this recent Inspired Blueprints Sketch & found various Basic Grey lines fro 2009 that worked well together, plus an older one {backing paper} & some 2007 MAMBI {the back ground stitched border piece}  Basic Grey:-  Origins, Indian Summer, Orange crinkle paper, wooden scroll & bling bindies- local, white thread, BG Indian Summer self-adhesive elements, ribbon offcut, staples, K & Co. painted chipboard & flowers, Prima Flowers, Sassafras Paper Whimsies {Seamstress Boutique}, brads - 7 Gypsies Victoria, Metal sentiment & square dot ribbon above & below photo - Making Memories, Mini-alphas - Jenni Bowlin, brown & yellow inks - Colour Box.
Title :- BANANA THIEF.  Journaling reads:-  "These poor creatures, the Vervet monkeys, are indigenous to Kwa-Zulu Natal & now their natural habitat has been so developed that there is very little space left for them to live & breed.  They can often be seen at the side of the road & come into our garden about once a week.  If any windows or doors are left open we can be sure that they will pay the fruitbowl a visit!"
One of my reasons for delaying this challenge was the colour scheme.  I really didn't want to work with it!  But, you know what?  Whenever you commit yourself to a scrappy endeavour, it always works out in the end, so I'm learning to just go for it.  My husband & daughter think my scrappy efforts are wasted on a monkey but I think it's important to document these creatures we come across almost daily here as they are a part of our lives in this province {state}.

I'm enjoying using my sewing machine again & am already wanting an upgrade.  Originally I owned a very nice machine that was stolen some years ago, so I had nothing for a few years then bought the cheapest, just so that I'd have something to use for sewing on my pages.  Now that I am using it what I need is all coming back to me & this one doesn't have 3 needle positions or a reverse button - which are a must for neat work!  So my plan is to teach my daughter how to sew so that I can pass my machine on to her & get myself an upgrade {sneaky huh???}
Love clustering/layering.  Swiped the background paper over with a yellow inkpad as it was pretty dull before & this definitely lifted it!  I am loving getting interactive with the photo - printing directly onto it - and adhering elements directly to it to.  Also pleated some ribbon onto it at the top & bottom.

I added some intentionally messy stitching to the leaves & the date block & the ribbon under the title.  My machine is permanently set up in my studio now.  It makes it easy to use but I have to stand as it's on my scrapping counter {purpose built to stand at} & it's a hassle as I have to clear the supplies from behind it each time (in order to feed the paper through) so I'm getting a sewing station built out of wood, that is going to stay in our dining-room as I'm all outta space in my little studio.  {I'm enclosing it in a cupboard so that it doesn't look like a sewing table but rather a cabinet - if the carpenter ever completes it I'll show you!}
I added this "Follow your Bliss" sentiment as I'm sympathetic to the monkeys' plight {me & about 3 others lol} as it's not their fault they have nowhere to live & nothing to eat.  Most people here shoot them even though there is a steep fine if they get caught {not likely as they have trouble catching serial killers here!}

HAPPY WEEKEND BLOGGIES!

14 comments:

Mel said...

Oh those poor monkeys, that is terrible, what a stunning layout you did here, you rocked the colours from the challenge and I have now learnt that the cheapest of sewing machines may not even be perfect for my scrapping, thanks, Melxx

jessica_haley555 said...

I love this page. You are very talented at creating awesome details to highlight a photo.

Ella Swan said...

Hi Mel! Well I'm glad you learned that 'cos I was worried I was waffling too much lol!!

Gloria said...

Wow Helen, you rocked that color combo, amazing layout!!! I love all the layering,inking and really like how you´re doing your journaling lately directly on the picture.. I need to give that a try:)Thanks for being a constant inspiration!

Debbi Tehrani said...

What a gorgeous page, Helen! So many beautiful details on here!

Pearl said...

oh what a sweetie you are with banana thief !!! lol I hear you on not wanting to work with some color schemes ! haha ! you sure did well here !

& i hope you do try out this mth's sketch for Magistical Memories ! ;)

tania said...

lovely layout helen.
thanks for the beautiful comment on my blog, made me feel a bittie better:)
i was on my way the other day to buy new sewing machine and overlocker, but the prices!! so i took mine for a service, they as good as new!! i soooo want to learn to sew better, i want to make dresses like the one i posted the other day;)
oh and btw, i also love the monkey:)

Alia said...

This page is so beautiful!!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

It seem like a tough color scheme to me but you rock it Helen, you should be crowned the color queen as you work well with every color palette!
And your "sewing machine plan" sounds cool, my younger daughter has been asking me to teach her how to sew, guess that is one good excuse for me to get a better machine, LOL!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Gorgeous layout and I love the "story" behind it.

Ella Swan said...

Thanks so much for all your kind comments! Have had a busy weekend & just flying out the door again but hopefully later or tomorrow I'll have the time to pop in & visit you all! Gloria I add the text in Picasa - quick & easy! Pearl - I'm still waiting to hear about the last MM comp & there are lots of challenges this month but I'll try to get to that one when the others are done if there is still time ;-D

Shayne said...

Yes, I agree it is important to document the 'small' things in life we often don't pay too much attention to. I remember the last time we visited KZN, we stayed in Umhlanga and boy did those monkeys drive us crazy!

Great LO Helen. xx

A Soldier Girl said...

girl these layouts are STUNNING .. wow love them .. and thank you for stopping through to my blog.

Jessy Christopher said...

I was a little stunned by your title but when I saw your layout, I laughed!! You caught me there. Gosh what an awesome way to remember that lil cheeky monkey that stole things from your house. You nailed the colors yet again!!