Sunday 12 June 2011

Inspired Blueprints Sketch 72 {You all Grew Into Butterflies} plus some tips!!!







I don't seem to be able to blog fast enough these days & while the idea of pre-scheduled posts is great I still need the time to write them!  When I write out a post it takes me a bit of time - I need to edit all the photos & send them to my blog, then fit in all the text & add in all the links (that I don't have time to check any more so if they don't work please LET ME KNOW!) I'm trying to be "less thorough" in order to be "more efficient" (yes that does actually make sense!) but still, I have tonnes to post.  I have to start somewhere so let's catch up with my Inspired Blueprints Design Team work.



 Here is the sketch!  The deadline to be in to win a sponsored prize is up but you can always play along anyway & upload into the gallery here and see the very latest sketch that you still have until the end of the month to submit your layout for here.  The sketches at Inspired Blueprints are always VERY NICE so I feel very honoured to be able to design for them twice a month :)
Of course I had to combine my efforts with a colour challenge from The Colour Room.


I've done another layout (Sketch 74) since this one but haven't got to sharing yet so you can also find it here  if you are impatient otherwise I will do my best to get that one up soon enough!



As you can see I used the CGD "Soul Food" line & masked using some chipboard butterflies & some mist.



Lots of hand-journaling going on - not my favourite thing but sometimes it's got to be done :)  My daugher is the pretty girlie on the far left above just BTW!



I misted quite a bit then dried with a heat-gun for this more opaque effect.  (I find the Studio Calico "Mr. Huey" mists are the best for this as they are a bit more matt), then I outlined with a fineliner pen.



The "Soul Food" line is very nice in that it is full of positive affirmations (read all the words on the text print for example).  My layout is about how teenagers give you a hard time for a little while but before you know it they have grown up into responsible adults.



I used some yummy Prima swirls as the butterfly trails & some gorgeous organza & velvet ribbon from my stash.  Very old Daisy D's rub-ons for a finishing touch too!



Supplies:-


Aqua cardstock - Bazzill
Printed paper - GCD Soul Food - "Beautiful Soul"
Bling Swirls - Pink - Prima
Inspiration Card - GCD Soul Food
Butterflies for masking - Making Memories Paper Reverie
Tiny Alphas - Making Memories
Flowers - Prima
Bling - Little Yellow Bicycle
Butterfly & ribbons - stash
Rub-ons - Daisy D's
Pink Glitter Alphas - My Little Shoebox
Chipboard Alphas - American Crafts "Thickers" - Hardcover
Black ink for edging - Doodlebug
Studio Calico "Mr. Huey" mist in Calico Cream
Black journaling pen - Shachihata Artline 200 FINE O.4

Now for a quick explanation on a few more photos...



I always slice off the information strip when I begin my layout & I immediately adhere it to the back of the page.  That way, when I am blogging the layout I just flip it over & know what I used immediately.



I used to throw the strips away but that is just plain silly - these days I want to know exactly what I've used!



I also used to buy 2 sheets of every paper I liked but that stopped years ago as I bought more stash & wanted a greater variety.  Now I try to utilise both sides wherever possible, like here, where I just cut & flipped the same paper to use side A & side B both on the same layout = absolutely no offcut wastage!



I used these die-cut butterflies from Making Memories Paper Reverie as my misting masks, so look around for what you have, most of us have chipboard pieces, lace paper, etc, that works beautifully...even toilet rolls & the egg holder from the fridge have all graced my layouts from time to time :)



Now I love these elaborate Prima Swirls but really can't afford to lavish an entire one on a layout too often so what I do is cut them up into sections - on this layout for example I have cut one into 4 sections & still had a piece left over!



Lastly, my tip for titles.  Most adhesive letters are not ultra-sticky (Thank Goodness).  I think the manufacturers do this intentionally so we can fiddle about with placement before getting it perfect.  What I do is pull off the letters (after doing a quick scan with my eyes to ensure I have all the letters I need - starting with the Es & As that are always the first to run out!) I place my letters on the edge of my metal ruler, using roughly the spacing I am wanting to use & if I have a specific place where I want my title to END I stick my letters on backwards (starting with the LAST letter) - this works an absolute treat as I really don't have time to count out letters & measure everything out & I don't like marking in pencil as this often leads to problems when it comes to erasing the pencil marks later.



All this is second nature to me now but that wasn't always the case so hopefully I have helped someone?!   Off to my cozy bed now, it is after midnight here & it is soccer season so we have an early start getting both boys off to matches in the morning.  Nighty night!






16 comments:

Jasmine S said...

Oh that title is soooo perfect for the girls. I love your journaling and your trail of butterflies looks awesome. Just stunning.

dstandard said...

What a beautiful page - love your details and journaling!

Sharm Nidyanandan said...

such a sweet page! I love the title of your layout! true to its meaning for sure! :) and thanks for sharing with us on how u put your layout together!! Have a wonderful weekend dear! :)

Kerryn said...

This is just beautiful Helen! You've shared some great tips there too :).

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

What a beautiful layout, lovely lovely!!

Heather Jacob said...

stunning Helen, my special gorgeous friend ....you always put so much love and care into your work .. exquisite .. big hugz x

Unknown said...

You don't only make beautiful pages..you take awesome photos as well! Thanks for the great tips..

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

GORGEOUS! I loveeeeeeeee those butterflies and the title! :):):):):):):):):):):):)

Nadhrah Maidin said...

your butterflies masking and misting is really great technique. Thanks for sharing at least it gives me some inspiration. Thank you for the lovely words at my blog dear!

Jolanda said...

Wow Helen,very pretty work!!!Beautiful!
Have a very nice day!
xx

Mel said...

This layout is just stunning Helen, I love the way you show us to how your wonderful creative mind works with the tute, those papers are divine, and I too used to buy 2 sheets but I cannot do that financially anymore and it is great to see how you incorporate the 2 sides. I love too the tip with the prima jewels, and I agree, they definately know we fiddle with our alphas. Love to you, Melxx

Lynette Jacobs said...

Your layout is beautiful Helen...and I always love reading your tips and techniques...so very helpful.

Mitralee said...

Love the velvet ribbon and title!!nice of you to show your process!!!

yyam said...

Such a sweet layout! Love the butterflies!!! :)

Jessy Christopher said...

What fab tips & of course a beautiful layout too! The title is so suitable for the photos :)

Diana said...

hmmm maybe I would use those prima swirls if I broke them up. As is they are WAY too fussy for me, but I realize they're essential to asian style LOs, which I want to try... .