Wednesday 8 June 2011

My First Couple's Shoot {Photo Post}

I'm an all or nothing kinda girl.  When I'm in the Studio you won't see me for hours...unless I rush past you for a loo break!  And occasionally I need some time out to get on with the rest of my life, so I took a day off to zhoosh up the house as  we are having some visitors in a couple of weeks, and my daughter is also returning to spend the 5 week university holiday with us so it's going to be a busy time...then straight after that my live-in house-helper goes on a month's leave!  I'm not seeing a lot of light at the end of the tunnel but I will make it work - it will just be an extra challenge!

It is winter here...freezing cold, raining & dark, so this is definitely no spring clean! There are a few sales on though so I snapped up a couple of lamps at half price (I'm a bit of a lamp maniac - they are my house purchase equivalent to other women's shoe obsessions) - a gaming beanbag for my boys & their X box Kinect, plus some sophisticated grey bed linen for my 16 year old boy who has outgrown the primary colours.  Photos to follow as my son's room already looks like a bomb has hit it, despite the perfection of yesterday!

I did a photo shoot a few weeks back - as a freebie for a local musician & his wife, and have been busy with the post-production on & off as & when I've had a moment of energy!  I devoted my day to it today 'cos I really need to get it finished!  The poor people are dying to get the disc & print & frame some photos for their new home!  Lloyd was the S A Idols runner-up but the winner in the eyes of many (a lot of controversy surrounds our show here as it is aired on a paid TV channel & therefore not available for viewing by most of the population, and voting is also charged so it is more of a voting show than a fair contest...)

I spent some time with Lloyd & his wife at their home up the coast & did my best to capture them as a couple.  My first couples shoot & it wasn't easy!  I was not delighted with the outcome as I was faced with several challenges along the way, but I did it for free so that it could be a pleasant learning experience for me & not a stressful one.  Lloyd is a real inspiration to many people here in South Africa & I wanted to do something to bless him & his family as he has been a blessing to us.  His single is almost at the top of the charts here - sitting at No. 2 right now - and I'm sure it will be at No. 1 soon!!  You can listen to it here.

Here are some of the images I captured & will post more between some scrapbooking posts in the future!


I found it difficult to get them "in sync" with each other - ie:- both doing the same thing at the same time...which is due to my lack of experience.  I really need to read up on how to "coach" people through the portrait process...


Love this one!
It's not easy making people you don't know feel comfortable to be themselves around you...


Another cutie...


We got started at 9a.m as I had quite a drive - but it was a little late in the day & I got some mean shadows towards the end.  Here the morning light on their faces is just magical though...


Sweet!  They were a really loving couple!!


Vibrant!


These were at the end when the sun was so harsh - but arty nonetheless...


So that's my first couple's shoot for you...a long way to go but I learnt a lot, had fun & made some cool friends while I was at it!  Layouts will be rolling in here very soon...







16 comments:

Eila Sandberg said...

Oh man Helen, I'm getting seriously envious here! those pics are just heavenly, I think you did a beautiful job capturing their personalities and the magic of the moment!! I should think they are absolutely over the moon with pleasure! Girl - you are SOOOO talented! please tell me you are a lousy cook at least and feed your family on take-aways .... ;))) xoxoxo

Bente Fagerberg said...

If I could take photos like that I would definitely be happy to live on take away meals...LOL!
I am sure they are going to be over the moon when they see the final results. My SIL mailed me some pregnant shots taken of her and family and they were nowhere as nice as yours!!
Have you been having any Blogger issues today. It has been pesty this side of the equator!!

Stefanie said...

I think you did a really great job on them, both the capturing and the post processing. Well done.

Alison said...

Great photographs Helen, I'm sure they will be delighted with them...things sound busy with you as always
Alison xx

Yolande (pronounced you-land-a) said...

Good grief...these photies are totally awesome...really stunning! These are going to be such a great addition to their home, and I am sure that they are going to be super pleased with them. Good luck with all that you have on your plate at the moment...life just seems to get busier and busier doesn't it?!
Have a superb rest of the week and take care.

Kiki Aposeki said...

My dear friend you did a wonderful shoot!! You have many talents Ι admire you!!!!congratulations!

Kerryn said...

Some beautiful photos of a beautiful couple.

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

beautiful couple and beautiful shots!!!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Helen are you kidding me, this are GORGEOUS, LLoyd must be so happy, VTW his music is playing while I write so thanks for the link! You did an amazing job!
PS. Can't wait for the fab LO's that will certainly follow they are a beautiful couple!

Sharm Nidyanandan said...

ooohh i remember the cold in South Africa! DH and I were there last year for the World Cup...!! it was sooo cold!!!! but i love your country! it's a lovely place!! :)your photos of Lloyd and his wife are really well taken!! they sure make a cute pair! and it's so sweet of u to do sumthin for them! :) and tfs the tips as well Helen! your pictures are beautiful! :)

Jasmine S said...

Wow they are just fab Helen. You clever girl. I think you have captured them beautifully.
And I love the idea of a live in house keeper....

Alia said...

What a sweet job you did!!

Diana said...

I think the photos are great! I love the first one especially.
If you were seriously thinking about doing this more often I'd recommend subscribing to a bunch of photographers' blogs, the ones who do engagement shoots, especially.
But yes, taking photos of people is as much about the emotional energy you expend to get them comfortable, and your ability to do that (for some people it comes naturally, others not so much) as it is about the technical stuff.
Let me know what he and his wife say when they see the pics!

Sabrina Scrapbook said...

Helen, your photos are always sharp and clear. I have noticed that LONG ago. I think you make a good photographer too!! These photos are amazing! I enjoyed looking and staring at those hehehe!! :)

topkatnz said...

Well done! they are a very cute couple - his wife is a sweetie:)

Pearl said...

o my ! how quickly you've graduated with your photography skills ! wonderful couple potraits !!! way to go !